Saturday, June 30, 2012

On the ground, safe and sound

We arrived in Vienna last night to a gorgeous flat (You know when you look at the IKEA catalog and think, "hmm, clean, fresh design, smart use of space, who lives like that?" Well, these people do). Our hostess' mother met us here, bringing Sunday breakfast and fresh flowers from her garden. She worked in Austrian TV for the arts and literature segment of the news until her forced retirement at 60 (I know), so she was eager to hear about Mark's various writing projects, especially his book about Rilke (she studied his poetry for her Master's thesis). Jonah woke up at 2am and announced, "I'm ready to be awake now" so M and I have been sleeping in shifts. I'm hoping to catch up during J's inevitable crash this afternoon. I've included some pics of the flat, which is in a perfect neighborhood- removed enough to be quiet, clean, and safe but close enough to make all the sights in central old town very accessible. J and I are off to the neighborhood park while it's still cool!